The six Bedels and the Verger play a prominent role in the University’s official and ceremonial occasions, which are an important part of its business, its traditions, and are a living reflection both of its long history and of the institution it is today. The Bedels attend upon the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellors, the Proctors and the Assessor, and other participating dignitaries on such occasions, and assist them and other University members to carry out ceremonial duties. Between them the Bedels attend around 100 separate occasions in a year.
The office holders are:
- Bedel of Divinity/Lead Ceremonial Officer – Dave Paintin
The Bedel of Divinity is the highest ranked Bedel and so leads the team, providing a link from the team via the Deputy Marshal to the Proctors and to the Vice-Chancellor and to other key University members.
- Bedel of Law – Dave Yeatman
- Bedel of Medicine – Gary Jones
- Bedel of Arts – Caroline Barnes
- Quintus Bedel – Dave Horner
- Sextus Bedel – Pat Yeatman
- Verger - Alan Slater