The Proctors’ Office handles the following types of application relating to the conduct of examinations (i.e. how they are run, or operated):

  • late submission (extensions) or non-submission of assessed coursework
  • missed examinations
  • dispensation from the academic dress regulations
  • student migration from one college to another
  • requests to live outside the residence limit
  • undergraduate dispensations from residence

The Proctors’ Office also handles applications for consideration of factors affecting performance received after the final meeting of examiners, which require a proctorial decision. All other factors-affecting-performance applications are handled by the Examinations and Assessments section of Student Registry, which also handles applications to the Proctors for alternative examination arrangements (such as extra time, computer use, audio or visual aids, scheduling changes).

Applications are submitted by colleges on students’ behalf and decided on by the Proctors. They are regulated by the University's Examination Regulations and may be appealed against as set out in the regulations. Most such appeals are by application in writing to the Chair of the Education Committee via the Education Policy Support section.

Information about all of the above types of application is set out in the University Student Handbook. Additionally, you can find information about the Examinations and Assessments section’s work, including alternative arrangements, on the Oxford Students website, and about the Education Policy Support section on its website.


  • All late submission (extension) applications should be made via college to the Proctors' Office in the first instance. Where an application seeks an extension that is likely to take the submission date beyond the examiners' term of office, the Proctors' Office will re-direct the application to the Education Policy Support section for decision in accordance with regulations.
  • All applications for major adjustments to assessment (typically changes to examination mode or timing) on the grounds of disability or to change mode of study (i.e. from full-time to part-time study) should be made via the Education Policy Support section.

University Student Handbook

Oxford Students website (Examinations and assessments page) 

Education Policy Support website (dispensations and appeals page)

For advice or to make an application, please consult your college office.